Saturday, February 12, 2005

Rhetoric 101 - First Day

Good morning, class. I am Mistress Lysias. Welcome to Rhetoric 101.

I trust all of you had a good summer, visiting the Isles, splashing in the Aegean, or touring our beautiful city-states. Now, I also trust, you are ready to return to your studies.

I like to begin each new semester by getting to know a little about each student. So, starting here, from the front row, please tell us your name and a little about what you did this summer.

Zeugma: Mistress, I did dive into the sea, explore her coves, and lounge on her golden shore.

Scesis Onomaton: I not only splashed in the waves, but swam in the surf, stroked over the crests, and tread through the troughs.

Ana Phora: On Santorini, we climbed the craggy moutain; on Santorini, we peered into the vast crater; on Santorini, we looked out upon the wine dark sea.

Ana Diplosis: That's nothing. We saw the caves on Cephalonia -- the watery caves, the dark and secret caves.

Metaphor: We were gulls: flitting from isle to isle, beach to beach.

Epana Lepsis: The Games at Olympus -- we traveled there to watch them -- ah! the drama and the splendor of the Games.

Procata Lepsis: Some objected to girls attending the Games. But, I said, "You'll see: one day we'll be competing as well." Pythia, the Oracle, agreed.

Pleonasm: I am an adolescent male of the species Homo sapiens. I enjoy watching and participating in a variety of athletic and gymnastic contests, in both team and individual format, including, but not limited to, archery, discus-throwing, wrestling, ....

Chiasmus: I left my dear Thessolonica, thence to Athens I came.

Expletivo: I am, in fact, a son of Athens and would never think to leave it. Indeed, I would challenge any who says other.

Asyndeton: I spent my days among the vines, arbors, groves, orchards, plucking grapes, olives, dates, figs.

Apophasis: I prefer not to think of the summer -- the disastrous trip to Corinth, the cruelty of my siblings, the duplicity of the street vendors in Arcadia. No, I will talk of it. I am glad to be back in school.

Metanoia: My summer was taken in travel to the Adriatic; or, rather, I should say, travail.

Aporia: It's hard for me to say whether the summer went well or not: the sunshine and warmth were welcome; the relatives from Sicily were not.

Simile: The summer was like a gem in a year of dross.

Synecdoche: Summer. Well, I think these eyes have never seen finer moments.

Hyperbole: I had the best summer anyone has ever had. Ever. Anywhere.

Litotes: My vacation was not unwelcome; not without its moments of joy.

Hyperbaton: I had a holiday delightful.

Onomatopoeia: I enjoyed nothing more than the buzzing of the bees and chirping of the crickets.

Apostrophe: You cannot imagine, dear mistress, what fun I had.

Enthymeme: Well, the days were so long and hot, it must have been summer.

Oxymoron: My father was too busy with his work to travel. He is an honest lawyer.

Erotesis: Why must we always tell what we did during summer break?


Acknolwedgements to A Handbook of Rhetorical Devices. Kudos to my clever niece, Anonymous, and the bright pupils at The Lyceum.

4 Comments:

Blogger Harry said...

Staggering, persuasive; not the least offensive, this.

2/12/2005 04:18:00 PM  
Blogger Gone Away said...

At last I have managed to work my way through all the links. Most interesting and educational. I congratulate you, Remainderman, on a fine piece of work, gently humorous and yet most instructive.

2/12/2005 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger Remainderman said...

Gone -- meta kudos -- a Herculean task for the link-adverse.

And, Harry -- a rhetorician, of course, in his own right: eloquent, monumental, not the least untoward.

2/12/2005 11:20:00 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I love your wordplay.

2/13/2005 11:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home