Thursday, January 27, 2005

Peace in Iraq

The headline is nothing if not hopeful. I was trying it on, as it were, on the cusp of or at the nadir of anything hopeful in that troubled land. During petitionary prayers at church, I've noticed that we pray for the military personnel in Iraq(who desperately need it for obvious reasons) for our civil leaders (ditto!) and for soldiers who have recently been killed there. But I'm suggesting that we widen the petition and pray "For peace in Iraq" to include the millions of long-suffering people--innocent men, women, and children, who have, I'm afraid, become somewhat abstracted into potential voters of varying Shia, Sunni, or Kurdish stripes during the USA's well-intentioned attempt to bring democracy there.

Now getting back to the peace thing--I remember as a child that it seemed that we prayed "For peace in Vietnam" forever. It also seemed to take forever. (And then when "peace" came, it wasn't quite how we had expected it, but that's another story.) So I ask readers to pray for peace in Iraq, real peace for the people there. Think back to your school days when this Cradle of Civilization with its Tigris and Euphrates, and the Ziggurat at Ur fired your imagination, and believe that your good will and petitions can make a difference now for the people of Iraq.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spinoza said that "Peace is not an absence of war; it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice." That sounds about right. That is what Iraq, and the world, needs now.

1/27/2005 04:51:00 PM  
Blogger Remainderman said...

A new appreciation for Spinoza.

Am I right in believing that Ur was the homeland of Abraham?

1/28/2005 09:08:00 AM  
Blogger Blue Clinkers said...

Yes, I believe so.

1/28/2005 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Blue Clinkers said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1/28/2005 10:26:00 AM  
Anonymous goodwill said...

Hi Blue Clinkers I’ve been looking for Jesus related blogs and I came across yours on Peace in Iraq during my trawl, so I thought it would be polite to let you know about my visit. You are most welcome to come and visit me at Jesus. I would also be happy to trade links with you if you are interested. Bye for now and have a nice day! Roy.

12/08/2005 09:07:00 PM  
Blogger Nd North Dakota House Cleaning said...

Unbelievable blog. I can hardly wait to vist this
site again.I'm consistently looking up blogs like
this.
Search for my nd north dakota house cleaning blog, please!

2/06/2006 02:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home